Screenshots: For your own use, and when submitting tickets to L2L Support, including screenshots is extremely helpful. When you can provide a screenshot, along with a URL and detailed description, diagnosing and troubleshooting an issue is greatly simplified. After all, a picture is worth a thousand words. Below are some guidelines for capturing and submitting screenshots with Support tickets.
Along with using the function keys on your laptop or PC, there are a number of free screenshot programs that are easy to install and easy to use. Just type Free screenshot software in your search bar.
Capturing screenshots on a Dell, HP or most Windows 10 computers:
- Press the PrtScn button to copy the screen to the clipboard.
- Press the Windows+PrtScn buttons on your keyboard to save the screen to a file.
- Use the built-in Snipping Tool.
- Use the Game Bar in Windows 10.
If your laptop or PC does NOT have a printscreen button, press the "Windows" key to display the Start screen, type "on-screen keyboard" and then click "On-Screen Keyboard" in the results list to launch the utility. Press the "PrtScn" button to capture the screen and store the image in the clipboard. Paste the image into an image editor by pressing "Ctrl-V" and then save it.
Capturing screenshots on a Mac:
- To capture the entire screen, press Command-Shift-3. The screenshot will be automatically saved as a PNG file on your desktop with the filename starting with “Picture” followed by a number, example Picture 1, Picture 2, and so on.
- To copy the entire screen, press Command-Control-Shift-3.
What is a URL and where is it located? URL means Uniform Resource Locator. URL is the location of a specific website, page, or file on the Internet. Think of it as a web address.
When you are on the Internet, the URL is generally the uppermost part of the page.
When you want to provide the URL, and we really appreciate it when you do, just put your cursor somewhere in the URL. This will highlight the entire URL (web address). Then right click to copy and right click again to paste where you want to insert the URL.