Skills, as found in the Skills Module of Leading2Lean, refers to individual skills that can be linked to Users, or Lines, that are required to perform specific skill-based tasks, products or jobs within the organization.
Using the Skill Detail Page
Adding a New Skill
- Once in the Skills tab, Users can search for the skill you desire or click on 'Add New' on the top right of the title bar to add a new skill to the system.
- When 'Add New' is selected, you will be directed to the 'Skill Detail' page.
- Once in the 'Skill Detail' page, give the new skill a unique code (name). Often, there is already an established code naming protocol for skills. If not, this is a good time to apply and set a standard naming convention for ease of finding.
- Give the Skill a description that explains what the skill is and how it will be used.
- Select a 'Category' for the skill. If there are no Categories available in the drop-down menu, the Administrator will need to establish categories before going any further. See the Article on Skill Categories
- Below, there is an option to 'Apply to all products'. Leaving this box checked will apply the skill to all products. See Article for 'Products' found in the production module.
- Deselecting the 'Apply to All Products' button will reveal a drop-down menu where the user can select the product to be affiliated with this skill.
- When complete, select 'Save & Add Initial Revision'
Revising and Adding Documents
Once the new skill is added, you can now attach the associated document with that skill.
- Choose the effective start date to the skill.
- If this is a temporary skill then you can add an effective end date and when that date comes, it will inactive the skill from the system.
- If you need the skill to be retrained every ' x ' number of days, then you can set that date as well in the user retrain period box so that all users with this skill will have to be retrained (refresher) again at that time.
- In the example above, the electrical safety skill will reset the training to all users with the skill to needs training in 365 days (annual) from the start date and every 365 days after that.
- From the drop-down menu, select the document(s) that are associated with this skill. NOTE: All skills need to be associated with at least one document as the standard of how to perform the skill being assessed.
- Be sure to input some type of note in the changes box stating what the Revision is and why it was done.
Skill Revision Detail Features
Once the Skill has been created and saved, there are several other features available on the Skill Revision Detail page. These include: (You can access this by clicking on the skill code in the skills page)
- Edit Button used to edit the basic information about the skill without creating a revision.
- View Users allows you to see all Users that are trained or need training and what level of training they have received.
- Add User if a User is required to perform this skill, he or she can be added by selecting this button.
- Create Revision allows the Administrator to create a new revision of the skill and to track that revision in history.
- Line or Role Requirements Allows the Administrator to associate the skill with the lines that require the skill.
- By clicking the add new button from the skill detail page, you can add the skill to a line, Role and or both Line and Role if needed.
Note: The example below is a skill labeled Electrical safety and that those individuals with the Role of Electrician tied to their user account will have to be trained to this skill.
- If the skill is tied to a Role only, then those who are associated with the Role of that skill will be notified on their L2L home screen (see below)
- If the skill is tied to a line, then those who are associated with that line will be notified on the operator portal (See Below)
Note: Another way of a notification of the skill that needs to be re-trained is in the L2L Reports module you will find one called User Skill Retrain Status report.
You can set up the search criteria by using the date range of X days from today to see who and when the training will need to be completed by. This report also has the feature to schedule and be sent to your email so you can see when the training is due and get the teams re-trained before they go past due.